Generic name: Pexeva
Brand names: Paxil CR, Pexeva, Paroxetine, Seroxat
Paxil CR is a popular antidepressant medicine that is known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It lessens clues of obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), fibromyalgia and major depression.
Do not use Paxil CR if you are taking a type of medicine called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI): linezolid (Zyvox), tranylcypromine (Parnate), isocarboxazid (Marplan), selegiline (Emsam, Zelapar, Eldepryl), phenelzine (Nardil).
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Paxil Cr earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Paxil Cr to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- epilepsy, seizures, heart attack, heart disorders, stroke
- receiving electroconvulsive therapy
- suicidal behaviors or thoughts
- bipolar disorder (manic-depression)
- kidney or liver disease
- stomach or intestinal bleeding
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
- an unusual or allergic reaction to paroxetine, other medicines, foods, preservatives, dyes
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s prescription. Do not take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Paxil CR is presented in the form of tabs or liquid to take orally. The recommended dosage of this remedy is 20-60 mg. It is usually taken once daily, in the morning or evening. This medicament is taken with some liquid. It is important to drink several glasses of water each day while you are taking Paxil CR to protect your kidneys. You may take it either with or without food. In order to soften stomach irritation and help your body absorb the drug is desirable to combine with food.
The tabs should be swallowed whole. Do not crush, break or chew them. Shake the suspension well before each use to mix the drug evenly. Use a specially marked measuring spoon or medicine cup to be sure of the correct dose. The dosage of Paxil CR depends on individuals and the diseases being treated. It is obviously to consult your health care provider before to take this medication. Follow your medical practitioner instructions strictly.
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
Any drug taken large doses can have serious consequences. If you are overdosed make known to your physician immediately.
In large doses, Paxil CR may give rise to fainting, seizures, irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, severe dizziness.
- aspirin and aspirin-like drugs
- medicines for migraine headache like eletriptan, almotriptan, naratriptan, frovatriptan, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan, sumatriptan
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like naproxen or ibuprofen
- medicines for anxiety, depression or psychotic disturbances
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like enoxaparin, warfarin, and dalteparin
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
- Allergic reaction ( difficulty breathing; hives; itching; swelling of your lips, face, tongue or throat; skin rash or swelling)
- Painful or prolonged erection (men)
- Change in appetite, weight
- Fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
- Mental, mood changes (loss of contact with reality, restlessness, confusion, hallucinations, blurred vision)
- Problems with breathing, chest pain
- Fever with increased sweating
- Numbness, tingling in your hands or feet (tremor), muscle stiffness, or spasms
- Indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- Nausea, vomiting
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), diarrhea, black or bloody stools, blood in the urine or vomit
- Difficulty sleeping
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
If these persist or worsen, tell your medic instantly. This is not a whole list of side effects and others may occur. If you have other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Paxil CR be stored?
Paxil CR should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Paxil CR out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor.
He knows everything about medications – to which pharmacological group the drug belongs, what components are included in its composition, how it differs from its analogs, what indications, contraindications, and side effects remedy has. John is a real pro in his field, so he knows all these subtleties and wants to tell you about them.