Generic name: Cymbalta
Brand names: Duloxetine, Cymbalta, Yentreve
General Information about Cymbalta.
Cymbalta is a famous remedy which has been labeled as noradrenaline and serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), antidepressant. It diminishes symptoms of fibromyalgia, depression, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and nerve pain (peripheral neuropathy) in diabetics.
Ask your physician if you need more detailed information about the effects and action of this medicine.
Cymbalta increases your sensitivity to sunlight. This may cause severe burning. In this case you need to use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing if exposure to the sun is unavoidable. Don’t drink alcohol. This may lead to side effects which are dangerous to your health. You may experience coordination problems or dizziness while taking this drug.
Don’t drive until you are aware how this remedy affects you. Don’t stop treatment earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even in case you feel better. When the drug is abruptly stopped, some conditions may become worse. Ask a medic before giving Cymbalta to children.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
Report your physician if you have or had the following conditions:
- any allergies
- suicidal thoughts or a history of drug abuse
- bipolar disorder (manic-depression)
- blood clotting disorder or a bleeding
- period of lactation, pregnancy, or you are planning to become pregnant
- kidney or liver disease
- heart attack, heart disorders, stroke
- epilepsy or seizures.
How do I take this medicine?
This medicament is available in the capsules. It is usually prescribed one or two pills a day. This remedy should be taken at regular intervals. Drink the capsule with glass of water. Moreover drink several glasses of water every day during the period of treatment in order to protect your kidneys. You may take it with or without food. In order to lessen the chance of stomach irritation and to help your body absorb the drug you may take the remedy with food. The pills must be swallowed whole. Do not break, crush, open or chew the capsule. Follow your physician’s instructions thoroughly.
What should I do if I miss the dose?
If you forgot to take the dose, take it as soon as possible. Do not double dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose and continue with your usual schedule.
Taking large dosage can lead to serious consequences for your health. If you have taken too much of the remedy, inform your physician immediately.
Interractions with Cymbalta.
Don’t take the drug together with the following:
- St. John’sWort
- certain diet pills like fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine, sibutramine, phentermine
- MAOIs like Eldepryl, Parnate, Carbex, Nardil, Marplan
- SSRIs like fluoxetine, citalopram, fluvoxamine, sertraline, escitalopram, paroxetine,
This remedy can also interact with the following:
- medicines for blood pressure or heart rhythm
- certain antibiotics like enoxacin, ciprofloxacin
- other medicines for mania, mental depression, anxiety, psychosis.
This list of interactions may not be complete. Contact your physician for more detailed information. Discuss with your physician the use of your medicine with tobacco, food or alcohol.
Which side effects can I perceive?
- chest pain, problems with breathing
- loss of appetite
- yellowing of the eyes, skin, liver problems
- vomiting, nausea
- muscle stiffness, numbness, tingling in your hands or feet (tremor), spasms
- allergy (itching, hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of your tongue, face, throat or lips, skin rash or swelling)
- dizziness, headache, hearing loss, ringing in your ears
- mental, mood changes (e.g., loss of contact with reality, confusion, restlessness, blurred vision, hallucinations)
- fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
- fever with increased sweating
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- difficulty urinating (urinary retention), loss of bladder control, diarrhea
If these side effects persist or worsen, contact your physician instantly. This list of side effects may not be complete. Visit your doctor if you experience other side effects not mentioned above.
How should Cymbalta be stored?
Keep Cymbalta at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), tightly closed, away from sunlight, direct heat, and moisture.
Keep medicament away from children and animals.