Generic name: Oxybutynin
Brand names: Oxybutynin
Oxytrol is taken to heal overactive bladder. This medicament diminishes the number of bathroom attendances. It can also assist in controlling wetting cases. This medication can be taken to gain other implications; ask your medical practitioner or pharmacologist in case you want to inquire.
What do I have to report to my medics before I take this medication?
They need to be aware if you have any of these states:
- difficulty passing urine
- intestinal obstruction
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Oxytrol, other medicines, dyes, foods or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicament:
This medication should be taken by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the instructions on the prescription label. This drug may be taken with or without food. Take the doses on the rigid schedule. Avoid taking the medicament more often than directed.
Consult your pediatrician if this medication can be taken by children. Particular care may be required.
In case you think you have taken too much of this medicament contact an emergency room or a poison control center at once.
This medicament is exclusively for your use. Don’t share Oxytrol with anyone.
If you forget about a dose:
If you miss the dose, try to take it as soon as you have the opportunity. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only one dose. Do not take the dose twice or redundant doses.
Interactions may occur with:
- antihistamines for allergy, cough and cold
- certain medicines for bladder problems like tolterodine
- certain medicines for Parkinson’s disease like trihexyphenidyl
- -certain medicines for stomach problems like hyoscyamine
- certain medicines for travel sickness like scopolamine
- medicines for fungal infections, like itraconazole, ketoconazole, fluconazole or voriconazole
This list of interactions may be not complete. Give your physicians entire list of herbs, dietary supplements, medicines or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them if you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items can interact with your medicament.
Which side effects can I observe from Oxytrol?
Side effects that you should apprise your doctor as quickly as possible:
- allergic reactions like [#, |3|skin rash| itching or hives| swelling of the tongue, face or lips
- breathing problems
- flushing (reddening of the skin)
- memory loss
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually don’t require medical attention (make known to your health care provider if they last or become bothersome):
- sexual difficulties (impotence)
The list of Reactions may be not complete.
What should I watch for using this medicine?
- The therapy may take weeks to notice the full benefit from this medication.
- You may be obliged to limit your intake alcohol, coffee, caffeinated sodas and tea. These drinks may worsen your symptoms.
- You may get dizzy or drowsy.| Don’t drive, use machinery or do any activity that needs mental alertness until you know the way this medicament affects you. Avoid standing or sitting up quickly, moreover if you are an older patient. This reduces the dizzy or fainting spells risk. Alcohol may influence the effect of this medication. Do not take alcoholic drinks.
- Your mouth may get dry. Sucking hard candy or chewing sugarless gum, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
- This medicine may cause blurred vision and dry eyes. You may feel some discomfort if you wear contact lenses. Lubricating drops may help. Visit your eye doctor if the problem does not go away or worsens.
- Avoid excessive heat. This medicament can cause you to sweat less. Your body temperature could increase to dangerous levels, which may cause heat stroke.
Where should I keep this medication?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at mild temperature between 15 – 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Get rid of any remaining medicine after the expiration date.