Detrol La (Tolterodine)
Generic name: Detrol La
Brand names: Tolterodine
What is/are Tolterodine:
TOLTERODINE is used to cure overactive bladder. This drug impairs the amount of goings to bathroom. It can also assists in controlling wetting cases. This drug may be used for other purposes; ask your doctor or apothecary if you have the desire to interrogate something.
What do I have to report to my medics before I take this medicament?
They need to be informed if you have any of these situations:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have allergic reactions to any drugs, or if you have:
- kidney disease
- glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency
- any type of debilitating disease
If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take this medication.
FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby, unless it is used during the last 2 to 4 weeks of pregnancy.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
Nitrofurantoin passes into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby.
Do not take this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast feeding a baby.
Do not give nitrofurantoin to a child younger than 12 years old.
- difficulty passing urine
- intestinal obstruction
- kidney or liver malady
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tolterodine, dyes, preservatives, meals or other medicines
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I take TOLTERODINE?
TOLTERODINE is taken by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the instructions on the prescription label. Take the doses at regular intervals. Do not take the drug more often than directed.
Consult your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicament in children. Special care may be needed.
If you think you have taken too much of this medicament contact an emergency room or a poison control center at once.
This drug is only for your use. Do not share this drug with others.
If you miss a dose:
In case you miss the dose, try to take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only one dose. Do not take the dose twice or redundant doses.
What may this medicament interact with?
- fluoxetine|drugs for fungal infections, like ketoconazole, voriconazole, itraconazole or fluconazole|vinblastine
This list of interactions may be not complete. Supply your doctors a list of all dietary supplements, herbs, non-prescription drugs or medicaments you use. Moreover tell them if you use illegal drugs, drink alcohol or smoke. Particular items can interfere your medication action.
What side effects may I observe from this medicament?
Side effects that you should tell your health care professional as quickly as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, swelling of the face, lips or tongue, itching or hives
- difficulty passing urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- swelling in feet or hands
Side effects which generally do not need medical awareness (make known to your doctor if they continue or are annoying):
- changes in vision
- dry eyes, mouth
- stomach upset
Some of the existing Side effects may not be included in the list.
What should I watch for using this medicine?
- The cure may take 2-3 months to notice the full benefit from this medicament.
- You may need to limit your intake tea, coffee, alcohol and caffeinated sodas. These drinks may worsen your symptoms.
- You may get drowsy or dizzy.| Don’t use machinery, drive or do any activity that reuires mental sharpness until you know the way this medicament affects you. Don’t stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This curtails the dizzy or fainting spells risk.
- Your mouth may get dry. Sucking hard candy or chewing sugarless gum, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
- This medicament may cause blurred vision and dry eyes. You may feel some discomfort if you wear contact lenses. Lubricating drops may help. Visit your eye doctor if the problem does not go away or worsens.
- Avoid excessive heat. This medicament can make you sweat less. Your body temperature could increase to dangerous levels, which may cause heat stroke.
Where should I keep this medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Keep at mild temperature between 15 – 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused drug after the expiration date.