Prograf (Tacrolimus, FK-506, Fujimycin, Protopic, Tacraf, Tacro-Tic, Cromidin, T-Inmun, Advagraf)
Generic name: Tacrolimus
Brand names: Tacrolimus, FK-506, Fujimycin, Protopic, Tacraf, Tacro-Tic, Cromidin, T-Inmun, Advagraf
What is Prograf?
Prograf is a popular immunosuppressive medicine. It is indicated for the prophylaxis of organ rejection in patients receiving allogeneic liver, kidney, or heart transplants. It prescribed for the treatment of severe atopic dermatitis (eczema), the skin condition vitiligo and severe refractory uveitis after bone marrow transplants.
Consult your health care professional or pharmacist for more information about the medicinal effects of this product.
What important information should I know about Prograf?
Prograf augments sensitivity to sunlight, and severe burning may result. Wear protective clothing and use a sunscreen when exposure to the sun is unavoidable.
Avoid drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit while taking this medication unless your physician recommends you otherwise.
this medication may cause dizziness or coordination problems. Use caution when operating machinery, doing dangerous activities, driving or climbing until you know how you react to this medicine.
Continue to take this medication until the end of the cure corse, even if you start to feel better. Stopping the medication too early may worsen some conditions.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can cause dangerous side effects when taken together with Prograf.
Always provide a health care professional before giving Prograf to a child.
What should I tell my doctor before I take this drug?
Before using Prograf inform your physician about:
- heart disorders, heart attack, stroke, or high blood pressure
- liver or kidney disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tacrolimus, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How to take Prograf?
Prograf is available in the form of capsules, solution (liquid) to take by mouth.
It is usually taken twice a day, every 12 hours.
Prograf is taken with some water. It is better to drink several glasses of water each day while you are taking Prograf to protect your kidneys. You may take it either with or without food. In order to lighten stomach irritation and help your body absorb the drug is desirable to combine with food.
The capsules should be swallowed whole. Do not break, crush, chew or open them.
Shake the liquid well before measuring a dose to mix the medicament evenly. Use a specially marked measuring spoon or medicine cup to be sure of the correct dose.
The dose of Prograf vary among medical condition and response to therapy. It is obviously to inquire your medic before to take this medicine. Follow your physician instructions carefully.
What should you do if you miss a dose of Prograf?
If you forget to take a dose of Prograf, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the one you missed and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not “double-up” the dose to catch up.
What should you do if you overdose of Prograf?
Any medication taken in excess can have serious consequences. If you are overdosed apprise your medic instantly.
What drug(s) may interact with Prograf?
- birth control pills or hormone replacement
- metoclopramide (Reglan)
- mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept)
- sirolimus (Rapamune)
- St John’s wort
- lansoprazole (Prevacid), omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegrid)
- rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifater) or rifabutin (Mycobutin)
- a potassium supplement or a diuretic (water pill)
- a calcium channel blocker such as verapamil (Calan, Verelan), diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor XR, Tiazac), nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia), or nicardipine (Cardene)
- antifungal medicines such as ketoconazole (Nizoral), itraconazole (Sporanox), fluconazole (Diflucan), caspofungin (Cancidas), clotrimazole (Mycelex Troche), voriconazole (VFEND)
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, E-Mycin, E.E.S.), clarithromycin (Biaxin), or troleandomycin (TAO)
- HIV medicines such as lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), nelfinavir (Viracept), or ritonavir (Norvir)
- an antacid containing magnesium or aluminum such as Rulox, Amphojel, Milk of Magnesia;
- seizure medicine such as carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol), phenobarbital (Luminal), phenytoin (Dilantin)
This is not a complete list of interactions. Detail information you may receive at your doctor.
Ask your health care professional about the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
What side-effects may occur?
- Allergic reaction ( skin rash or swelling; hives; swelling of your throat
- or tongue
- or lips
- or face; difficulty breathing; itching )
- Fever, sore throat, other signs of infection, excessive sweating, chills, body aches, flu symptoms
- Increased urination, thirst, or hunger
- Mental, mood changes (abnormal dreams, abnormal thinking, gloss of contact with reality, restlessness, confusion, hallucinations, blurred vision)
- Problems with breathing, chest pain
- Slow heart rate, weak pulse
- Fatigue, faintness
- Numbness, tingling in your hands or feet (tremor), muscle stiffness, or spasms
- Indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- Nausea, vomiting
- Pain in the lower back or side
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), diarrhea
- Low blood pressure
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
If these persist or worsen, report to your doctor straightway. This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. If you have other effects not stated above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Prograf be stored?
Zoloft should be stored at room temperature at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep medicament out of the reach of children and away from pets.
He knows everything about medications – to which pharmacological group the drug belongs, what components are included in its composition, how it differs from its analogs, what indications, contraindications, and side effects remedy has. John is a real pro in his field, so he knows all these subtleties and wants to tell you about them.