Generic name: Lamictin, Lamotrigine
Brand names: Lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictin, Lamogine, Lamitor
What is Lamictal?
Lamictal is a popular medication that is known as anticonvulsants. It diminishes seizures and nerve pain like mania (frenzied or abnormally excited mood), bipolar disorder, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, depression and epilepsy.
Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Lamictal earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Lamictal to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- heart disorders or heart block
- kidney or liver disease
- any allergies
- folate deficiency
- a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member or suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt;
- mental illness
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others.
Lamictal comes in tablet form to take orally. It should be taken usually 200–900 mg per day divided into two doses, at regular intervals. Lamictal is usually accompanied by some liquid. It is important to drink several glasses of water each day while you are taking Lamictal to protect your kidneys.
The tablets should be swallowed whole. Do not break, chew or crush them.
The dosage may vary among individuals. It is obviously to contact your doctor before taking this medicament. Follow your physician’s instructions carefully.
What should I do if I miss the dose?
If you miss the dose, try to take it as soon as you have the opportunity. If it is time for your next dose, take only one dose. You don’t have to double the dose.
What should you do if you overdose of Lamictal?
Taking any medicine in excess you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, visit your physician instantly.
Overdose of Lamictal may give rise to lack of coordination, delayed heartbeat, rolling eyeballs, coma, and decreased level of consciousness or increased seizures.
What drug(s) may interact with Lamictal?
- valproic acid
- female hormones, including contraceptive or birth control pills
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
- Allergic reaction (skin rash or swelling; swelling of your throat, face, tongue or lips; difficulty breathing; hives; itching)
- Nausea, vomiting
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Mental, mood changes (e.g., loss of contact with reality, restlessness, confusion, hallucinations, blurred vision, thoughts or actions of suicide or dying)
- Swollen lymph glands
- Difficulty walking or controlling muscle movements
- Fatigue, faintness
- Nightmares or difficulty sleeping
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet (tremor)
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), dark urine, diarrhea
- Indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
If these side effects persist or worsen, contact your medical practitioner straightway. Remember, this list of side effects is not complete, others may occur. If you notice any side effect, call your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Lamictal be stored?
Lamictal should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Lamictal out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor.