Generic name: Enalapril-hydrochlorothiazide
Brand name: Vasotec
Vasotec is in a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme. This remedy is taken to treat congestive heart failure, high blood pressure (hypertension), kidney problems caused by diabetes, and to improve survival after a heart attack.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Vasotec earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Vasotec to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- allergy to Vasotec, other foods, dyes, medicines or preservatives
- liver or kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis)
- heart disease or congestive heart failure
- a connective tissue disease such as Marfan syndrome, Sjogren’s syndrome, lupus, scleroderma, or rheumatoid arthritis
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Vasotec should be taken orally with some water with or without food. Don’t forget to take the doses at regular intervals.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
In large doses, this remedy may cause the following conditions: lightheadedness, weakness, fainting, or dizziness.
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
Interactions may occur with:
- salt substitutes that contain potassium
- lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid)
- gold injections to treat arthritis
- a diuretic (water pill)
- a potassium supplement such as K-Dur, Klor-Con
- aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as diclofenac (Voltaren), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), indomethacin (Indocin), etodolac (Lodine), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve), ketoprofen (Orudis), and others
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following serious side effects:
- allergy like skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, hives, itching, difficulty breathing
- chest pain
- chills, fever, flu symptoms, body aches
- fainting, feeling light-headed
- easy bruising or bleeding
- urinating more or less than usual, or not at all
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeats
- rapid weight gain
- pale skin
Side effects which generally don’t need medical control (provide your medical practitioner if they continue or are troublesome):
- dry mouth
- drowsiness, dizziness, headache
- sleep problems (insomnia)
- vomiting, nausea, diarrhea
- mild skin itching or rash
- loss of appetite, loss of taste sensation
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
Be aware that high blood pressure often has no symptoms.
FDA pregnancy category C. Inform your physician if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying to get pregnant.
Vasotec may not work as well in black patients. They may also be at greater risk of side effects. Consult your physician in case your symptoms don’t improve or if they become worse. Lab tests, including blood electrolytes, blood pressure, blood cell counts, and kidney function, may be performed while you use Vasotec.
Avoid standing or sitting up quickly, especially if you are an older patient.
Contact your doctor before using salt substitutes containing potassium. In case you need to have any type of surgery, you may need to temporarily stop using Vasotec. Inform your surgeon that you are taking Vasotec.
Vasotec should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Vasotec out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.