Generic name: Enalapril-Hydrochlorothiazide
Brand name: Vaseretic
Vaseretic is a combination of hydrochlorothiazide and enalapril. It works by removing excess fluid from the body and helping to relax blood vessels. This helps to lower blood pressure.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Vaseretic earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Vaseretic to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- decreased urine
- kidney or liver disease
- heart or blood vessel disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Vaseretic or its components, other dyes, medicines, preservatives or foods
- bone marrow disease
- low blood pressure
- if you are on a special diet (low salt diet)
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- immune system disease (lupus)
- recent stroke or heart attack
- previous swelling of the tongue, lips, face, with difficulty breathing, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, or tightening of the throat
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
This drug should be taken orally with some water with or without food. Take the doses on the rigid schedule.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
In large doses, this remedy may cause the following conditions:
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
- corticosteroids (prednisone)
- skeletal muscle relaxants (tubocurarine)
- barbiturates (phenobarbital)
- potassium supplements
- blood pressure drugs
- medicines for high cholesterol (colestipol, cholestyramine)
- diabetic drugs (spironolactone, triamterene or amiloride)
- prescription pain medicines, NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation (naproxen, ibuprofen)
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following
Serious side effects:
- allergy like skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, hives, itching, difficulty breathing
- shortness of breath
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- severe lightheadedness or dizziness
- difficulty swallowing
- muscle weakness or cramps
- slow, fast or irregular heartbeat
- unusual stomach pain
- sore throat
Less serious side effects:
- persistent, dry cough
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
Avoid standing or sitting up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Consult your physician before you take salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
FDA pregnancy category C. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying to get pregnant.
Vaseretic may not work as well in black patients. They may also be at greater risk of side effects. Talk to your physician if you do not feel the improvement of your condition. Be informed that lab tests, including blood pressure, blood electrolytes, blood cell counts, and kidney function may be performed. Follow all recommendations of your doctor. If you are going to have any type of surgery, you may need to temporarily stop using Vaseretic. Be sure the surgeon knows that you are using Vaseretic.
Vaseretic should be stored at room temperature, in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Vaseretic out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.