Generic name: Felodipine
Brand name: Plendil
Plendil is a calcium channel blocker. This drug is taken to cure high blood pressure. Controlling your blood pressure will help to avoid kidney problems, strokes and heart attacks. Plendil works by relaxing muscle cells and the walls of arteries thus widening the wessels. It also improves the oxygen supply to the heart. That is why Plendil may be prescribed to treat angina.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Plendil earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Plendil to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Plendil, other foods, medicines, preservatives or dyes
- liver disease
- another disease of the heart or blood vessels (aortic stenosis, sick sinus syndrome, low blood pressure, heart failure, or coronary artery disease)
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Plendil should be taken orally without food or with a light meal.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
In large doses, this remedy may cause the following conditions:
- shortness of breath
- chest pain
- slurred speech
- an unusually fast or slow heartbeat
If you forget about a dose:
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
- carbamazepine (Tegretol)
- erythromycin (E.E.S., E-Mycin, Ery-Tab, Eryc and others)
- another heart medication to treat the same or another condition
- cimetidine (Tagamet HB,Tagamet)
- rifabutin (Mycobutin) or rifampin (Rimactane, Rifadin)
- ketoconazole (Nizoral) or itraconazole (Sporanox)
- phenytoin (Dilantin)
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following serious side effects:
- allergy like skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, hives, itching, difficulty breathing
- chest pain
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- unusually fast or slow heartbeat
- abnormal behavior or psychosis
- severe dizziness or fainting
- swelling of the legs, ankles, or face
Less serious side effects:
- fatigue or tiredness
- swelling of your gums
- muscle or joint discomfort
- insomnia oor difficulty sleeping
- flushing (redness)
- increased or difficult urination
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
Consult your physician about changes in your lifestyle and diet. Check your blood pressure on a regular basis. Grapefruit juice and grapefruit may interact with Plendil. Avoid standing or sitting up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Plendil may make your skin more sensitive to sun or ultraviolet light. Talk to your physician if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying to get pregnant. If you are over 65 years of age, you may be more likely to experience side effects from Plendil. Your physician may recommend a lower dose of this drug.
Plendil should be stored at room temperature, in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Plendil out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.