Generic name: Telmisartan – Hydrochlorothiazide
Brand name: Micardis Hct
Micardis Hct is a combination of drug prescribed to cure high blood pressure. It works by preventing the hormone angiotensin II from constricting the blood vessels, thus widening the vessels. It is also a a diuretic remedy.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Micardis Hct earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Micardis Hct to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Micardis Hct, ACE inhibitors such as captopril, lisinopril, other preservatives, medicines, dyes or foods
- heart failure
- kidney or liver disease
- previous swelling of the tongue, face, or lips with difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing, tightening of the throat or hoarseness
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- if you are on a special diet, such as a low-salt diet
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Take Micardis Hct orally with a glass of water with or without food. Take it regularly to get the most benefit from it.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
In large doses, this remedy may cause the following conditions:
- rapid or slow heartbeat
- low blood pressure
- dry mouth
- muscle pain or cramps
- excessive thirst
If you forget about a dose:
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs s(naproxen, ibuprofen)
- Barbiturates (secobarbital, phenobarbital)
- Muscle relaxants (tubocurarine)
- Narcotic painkillers (oxycodone)
- Other blood-pressure lowering drugs
- Oral diabetes drugs (glipizide, chlorpropamide or glyburide)
- Steroid medications (prednisone)
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following serious side effects:
- allergy like skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, hives, itching, difficulty breathing
- muscle pains
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- dark urine
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
- gout pain
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- slow heartbeat
Less serious side effects:
- flu-like symptoms
- upper respiratory tract infection
- changes in vision
- fast heartbeat
- large hives
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
If you are going to have surgery, inform your surgeon that you are taking this drug. Avoid potassium supplements or salt substitutes, unless your physician recommends you. Follow your doctor’s instructions about diet.
Consult your doctor if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying to get pregnant. Avoid standing or sitting up quickly, moreover if you are an older patient. This decreases the dizzy or fainting spells risk.
Micardis Hct should be stored at room temperature, in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Micardis Hct out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.