Generic name: Valsartan-Hydrochlorothiazide
Brand name: Diovan Hct
Diovan Hct is prescribed to cure high blood pressure. Diovan Hct is a combination of 2 medicines. Valsartan blocks the hormone angiotensin thus relaxing and widening the blood vessels. The thiazide diuretic increases the amount of urine you make, therefore decreasing excess water and salt in your body. Controlling your blood pressure will help you to avoid heart attacks, strokes and kidney disorder.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Diovan Hct earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Diovan Hct to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- liver or kidney disorder
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Diovan Hct, other foods, medicines, dyes or preservatives
- heart problems
- pregnancy or trying to get pregnant
- any allergies (especially to sulfa drugs or ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril, captopril)
- severe dehydration through excessive vomiting, sweating or diarrhea
- mineral/electrolyte problems (e.g., imbalance of sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium)
- high levels of fats in the blood (high cholesterol or triglycerides)
How to take Diovan Hct:
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Diovan Hct is taken orally with some water, with or without food once a day or as directed by your doctor. This remedy is usually taken before meals and at bedtime. Take the doses at regular intervals.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
In large doses, this remedy may cause the following conditions:
- severe fainting, dizziness
- irregular heartbeat
What should I do if I miss the dose?
If you miss the dose, try to take it as soon as you have the opportunity. If it is time for your next dose, take only one dose. You don’t have to double the dose.
- drugs which are affected by the acid level in the urine (e.g., methenamine, amphetamine, quinidine)
- salt substitutes, probenecid
- antidiabetic drugs (e.g., glipizide, insulin)
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., indomethacin, ibuprofen)
- potassium supplements (e.g., potassium chloride)
- corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone)
- drugs which can increase dizziness (e.g., narcotic analgesics, phenobarbital)
- if you are also taking cholestyramine or colestipol, take valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide at least 2 hours before either of these drugs
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following serious side effects:
- allergy like skin rash, swelling of the lips, face, tongue, itching, hives, difficulty breathing
- unusual thirst
- abdominal/stomach pain
- decreased sexual ability
- dark urine
- fast heartbeat
- chest pain
- unusual change in the amount of urine (after the first several days of starting this drug)
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- signs of infection (e.g., chills, fever, persistent sore throat)
- unusual fatigue
Less serious side effects:
- dry mouth
- blurred vision
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
Your surgeon, doctor or dentist should be aware that you are taking Diovan Hct. Avoid standing or sitting up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Your doctor should provide you with instructions about lifestyle changes. Follow your doctor’s recommendation according laboratory and/or medical tests. Check your blood pressure on a regular basis. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying to get pregnant.
Drink much fluids in order not to get dehydrated unless otherwise is recommended by your doctor. Avoid potassium supplements or salt substitutes containing potassium. Diovan Hct can raise or lower your potassium blood levels that sometimes can result in muscle weakness /cramping or very slow heartbeats. Inform your doctor as soon as possible if this occurs.
Diovan Hct should be stored at room temperature, in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Diovan Hct out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.