Generic Name: verapamil (oral)
Brand Names: Isoptin SR, Verelan PM, Calan, Covera-HS, Verelan, Calan SR
Calan SR is a calcium-channel blocker. It affects the amount of calcium found in your muscle cells and heart. This relaxes your blood vessels, which can reduce the amount of work the heart has to do. This medication can be used for extra goals; contact your physician whenever you have the desire to interrogate something.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Calan Sr earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Calan Sr to a child.
You will need to check your pulse rate and blood pressure regularly. Ask your physician or health care professional what your pulse rate and blood pressure should be and when you should contact him or her.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- Low blood pressure
- Myasthenia gravis
- Allergy to Calan SR, other dyes, medicines, preservatives or foods
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia), including sick sinus syndrome
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Calan SR is taken orally with a glass of water with food. Because Calan SR tablets are extended-release, they should not be chewed or crushed. However, they may be cut in half along the scored line. Take the doses on the rigid schedule.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
Interactions may occur with:
- red yeast rice
- rifabutin, rifampin, or rifapentine
- barbiturates such as phenobarbital
- medicines for heart rhythm problems like digoxin, amiodarone, procainamide, flecainide, quinidine
- medicines for heart problems or high blood pressure
- general anesthetics or local anesthetics
- aminophylline, theophylline
- medicines for seizures like phenytoin, carbamazepine
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with Calan SR and lead to dangerous effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit with your physician.
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following
Serious side effects:
- feeling like you might pass out
- irregular heartbeats
- allergy like swelling of the tongue , face, or lips, itching, skin rash, or hives
- rapid weight gain
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion
- sore throat, headache with a severe blistering, fever, peeling and red skin rash
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- nausea, stomach pain
- loss of appetite
- low fever
- dark urine, clay-colored stools
Less serious side effects:
- constipation or diarrhea, nausea
- nausea, vomiting
- skin rash or itching
- tired or weak
- warmth, itching, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
How should I keep this medicament?
Calan SR should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Calan SR out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.