Generic name: Famciclovir
Brand name: Famvir
What is Famvir?
Famvir is a popular medicament that has been labeled as antiviral. It diminishes many different viral infections such as shingles, genital herpes, chicken pox and cold sores. It works by slowing the growth and spread of the herpes virus in the body.
Safety and effectiveness in children under the age of 18 years has not been researched.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Famvir earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Famvir to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- heart disorders (such as heart rhythm problems)
- kidney or liver disease
- allergy to famciclovir, or to similar drugs, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- intestinal problems (colitis)
- galactose intolerance
- glucose-galactose malabsorption
- severe lactase deficiency
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s prescription. Do not take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
This remedy is sold in tabs to take orally.
The usual dosage of this drug is 150-500 milligrams. It should be taken two or three times daily, at regular intervals.
This medicine should be accompanied by some liquid. It is better to drink several glasses of water each day during treatment with Famvir to protect your kidneys. You may take it with food or on an empty stomach. In order to minimize stomach irritation and help your body absorb the remedy, it is desirable to take it with food.
The tabs should be swallowed whole. Do not chew, crush or break them.
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
What should you do if you overdose of Famvir?
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
What drugs may interact with Famvir?
- Digoxin (Digitek, Lanoxin)
- Probenecid (Benemid, Benuryl, Colbenemid)
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
- Allergic reaction (swelling of your tongue, face, lips or throat; itching; difficulty breathing; skin rash or swelling; hives)
- Problems with breathing
- Fever, chills
- Nausea, vomiting
- Numbness, tingling in your hands or feet (tremor), muscle stiffness, or spasms
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), dark urine, diarrhea or loose stools
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- Redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth, pale skin
- Fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
- Fatigue, faintness
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Upper respiratory infection
If these persist or worsen, advise your health care provider promptly. This is not a whole list of side effects and others may occur. If you notice other effects not mentioned above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Famvir be stored?
Famvir should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Famvir out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.