Generic names: Simvastatin, Simvastatin, Liponorm, Lodales, Zocord, Sinvacor, Dosavastatin, Colesterminol, Klonastin, Gemistatin, Lipimibe, Labistatin, Lisac, Nosterol, Nivelipol, Sevacol, Redusterol, Tanavat, Several, Lipex, Vasotenal, Simvabell, Ransim, Zimstat, Simvahexal, Nyzoc, Gerosim, Cholemed, Simvarcana, Simvastamed, Docsimvasta, Androlip, Simvafour, Cordiron, Clinfar, Mivalen, Lovacor, Sinvascor, Sinvalip, Sinvatrox, Sinvastacor, Sinvax, Sinvastamed, Sivastin, Sinvaz, Vastatil, Vaslip, Nimicor, Vasomed, Apo-Simva, Vasomed, Simirex, Simgal, Vasilip, Simvacard, Zocolip, Perichol, Lodales, Lipcut, Simva, BeL, Simvabeta, SimvaAPS, Simvadoc, Simvacor, Antichol, Simvadura, Goldastatin, Christatin, Kymazol, Ipramid, Normotherin, Lowcholid, Medipo, Simvaxon, Imbistad, Covastin, Simplaqor, Josken, Euvasten, Zeid, Uni-Per, Orovas, Zivas, Wilsim, Simvachol, Simratio, Ximve, Bestatin, Jabastatina, Cynt, Torio, Colemin, Kavelor, Arudel
Brand name: Zocor
What is Zocor:
Zocor is a popular cholesterol-lowering drug. This medicine works by decreasing the production of cholesterol (a type of fat) in the organism. Zocor decreases total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the blood. Reducing your cholesterol can help avert heart disease and hardening of the arteries, conditions that can lead to heart attack, stroke and vascular disease.
This medication may be taken for other cases; inquire your doctor or pharmacologist provided that you need further clarification.
What do I have to apprise my doctors before I take this medicament?
They need to be aware if you have any of these cases:
- kidney or liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Zocor, preservatives, foods, dyes or medicines
- underactive thyroid
- high acid levels in blood
- heart failure or heart disease
- a muscle disorder
- blood salt imbalance
- an alcohol problem
- recent surgery
- severe injury
- seizures (convulsions)
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How to use this medicament:
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
This medicine is recommended to take by mouth usually at bedtime or with an evening food, or as directed by your medic. Your doctor will prescribe a safe strength of Zocor. Take the doses at regular intervals. Do not take the medicament more often than recommended. Never stop taking unless given advice of your doctor or health care professional. Consult your pediatrician if this medication can be taken by children. Particular instructions may be required.
Overdose symptoms may include headaches, upset stomach, gas, muscle pain, heartburn, rash, diarrhea, constipation and liver or pancreas injury. If you think you have taken too much of this medicament contact a poison control center or an emergency room immediately.
If you forget about a dose:
In case you miss the dose, do your best to take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only one dose. Never take double or extra doses.
- Bbarbiturates (examples: phenobarbital, butalbital, primidone)
- St. John’sWort
- Medicine used to stop early pregnancy (mifepristone, RU-486)
- Medicines to lower cholesterol or triglycerides (examples: fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, niacin)
- Rifampin, rifabutin, or rifapentine
This list may not describe all existing interactions. Give your medics entire list of dietary supplements, herbs, non-prescription drugs or medicines you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items can interact with your medicine.
Which side effects may I notice from Zocor?
Side effects that you should tell your health care professional as early as possible:
- rapid weight gain
- indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- swelling of the hands, legs, or feet
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms
- decreased urination, difficulty passing urine
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion
- pain or burning when you urinate (dark yellow or brown urine)
- muscle pain, tenderness, cramps, or weakness
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or face, difficulty breathing
- appetite loss
- blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights
Side effects which as a rule do not require medical control (tell your health care professional if they persist or become inconvenient):
- heartburn, upset stomach
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain
- dizziness, spinning sensation
- drowsiness, tired feeling
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- cough or cold symptoms
- numbness or tingly feeling
- joint or muscle pain
- mild skin rash
- blurred vision
The list of reactions may be not complete.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Zocor will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan. Don’t use machinery, drive or do any activity that needs mental sharpness until you know the way this drug affects you. Limit alcohol while taking this medicament because it can raise triglyceride levels, and may also damage your liver while you are taking simvastatin. This medication is not possible for use during pregnancy. There is a potential for serious side effects to an unborn child or to an infant. Ask your medic for more details and follow all instructions strictly. You may get dizzy or drowsy.
Where should I keep this drug?
Keep out of the reach of children. Keep at mild temperature about 41 and 86 degrees F (5 and 30 degrees C). Keep your medicine container tightly closed and protect from moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Get rid of any unused medication when the expiration date has passed.
He knows everything about medications – to which pharmacological group the drug belongs, what components are included in its composition, how it differs from its analogs, what indications, contraindications, and side effects remedy has. John is a real pro in his field, so he knows all these subtleties and wants to tell you about them.