Generic names: Simvastatin, Ezetimibe
Brand name: Vytorin
Vytorin is a popular cholesterol-lowering medicine. It consists of simvastatin (Zocor) and ezetimibe (Zetia). Vytorin is recommended to block the production of cholesterol (a fat-like substance) in the organism. Vytorin decreases total cholesterol, triglycerides and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol in the blood. Decreasing your cholesterol can help stave off heart disease and hardening of the arteries, conditions that can lead to heart attack, vascular disease and stroke.
Vytorin is only part of a complete program of cure that also includes exercise and diet and weight control.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Vytorin earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Vytorin to a child.
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Don’t share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s recommendations. Don’t take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Take it 1 time a day at fixed intervals.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
If you forget about a dose:
If you forget about the dose, do your best to take it as soon as you have the opportunity. If the time for the next dose has come, take only that dose. Never take the dose twice or redundant doses.
Interactions may occur with:
- Antifungal medicines such as itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Grapefruit juice (large quantities)
- HIV medicines called protease inhibitors, such as indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, and saquinavir
- Niacin and nicotinic acid
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
Contact your physician immediately if you notice any of the following
Serious side effects:
- allergy like skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, hives, itching, difficulty breathing
- pain or burning when you urinate (dark colored urine)
- easy bleeding or bruising
- muscle pain
- appetite loss
- inflammation of the pancreas
- swelling of the hands, legs, or feet
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion
- trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
- eye pain
- tenderness, cramps, or weakness
- difficulty passing urine, decreased urination
- body aches,
- fever, chills, flu symptoms
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- blurred vision, or seeing halos around lights
Side effects that generally do not need medical control ( apprise your doctor if they continue or are irritating):
- heartburn, upset stomach
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain
- dizziness, spinning sensation
- drowsiness, tired feeling
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- cough or cold symptoms
- numbness or tingly feeling
- joint or muscle pain
- mild skin rash
- blurred vision
This list of side effects may be not complete, others may occur. Inform your medical practitioners about all side effects you experience.
This remedy is only a part of a total heart-health program. Follow any recommendations of your doctor concerning low-fat diet.
Check your physician regularly. You may need regular tests to make sure your liver is working properly.
Inform your physician in case you feel unexplained muscle weakness or pain, tenderness, fever, dark colored urine, flu symptoms.
FDA pregnancy category X. Ask your physician about using this remedy during pregnancy, breast-feeding.
Inform your doctor immediately if you become pregnant during treatment. Use an effective form of birth control during treatment.
Inform your surgeon that you are taking Vytorin in case you are going to have surgery.
Vytorin should be stored at room temperature, in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Vytorin out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.