Generic name: Ivermectin
Brand names: Stromectol, Mectizan, Ivexterm
Stromectol is a popular anti-parasite medicine that is known as Anthelmintic. It curtails many kinds of infections caused by certain parasites. It will not work for flu, colds or other viral infections.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Stromectol earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Stromectol to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- heart disorders (such as heart rhythm problems)
- kidney or liver disease
- allergy to ivermectin, or to similar preservatives, medicines, dyes, or foods
- intestinal problems (colitis)
- roblem with your immune system, breathing system, recent foreign travel
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others. Follow strictly your doctor’s prescription. Do not take more or longer than your doctor recommended.
Stromectol comes in the form of tablet or suspension (liquid) to take orally.
It is usually recommended to take medicine one or two times a day at regular intervals.
Stromectol is taken with some liquid. It is better to drink several glasses of water each day while you are taking Stromectol to protect your kidneys. You may take it with food or on an empty stomach. In order to lessen stomach irritation and help your body absorb the drug is desirable to combine with food.
The capsules should be swallowed whole. Do not break, crush, open or chew them. Shake the liquid well before measuring a dose to mix the medicine evenly. Use a specially marked measuring spoon or medicine cup to be sure of the correct dose.
What should be done if I missed the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, make known to your medic at once.
In large doses, Stromectol may cause nausea, tiredness, swelling, vomiting, dizziness, diarrhea, weakness or severe headache.
What drug(s) may interact with Stromectol?
- benzodiazepines (such as lorazepam, diazepam, clonazepam)
- barbiturates (such as butalbital, phenobarbital)
- sodium oxybate (GHB), valproic acid
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
- Allergic reaction (hives; swelling of your lips, tongue, face or throat; difficulty breathing; skin rash or swelling; itching)
- Problems with breathing
- Fever, chills
- Nausea, vomiting
- Numbness, tingling in your hands or feet (tremor), muscle stiffness, or spasms
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), dark urine, diarrhea or loose stools
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Indigestion, or upset stomach, bloating, stomach gas, pain or cramps
- Redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth, pale skin
- Fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
- Fatigue, faintness
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Trouble sleeping
If these persist or worsen, inform your medic straightway. This is not a whole list of side effects and others may occur. If you feel other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Stromectol be stored?
Stromectol should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Stromectol out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor. The information contained in this article is not intended to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, adverse effects, directions, uses, allergic reactions or warnings.