Generic name: Effexor XR
Brand names: Venlafaxine, Effexor, Efexor, Effexor XR
Effexor XR is a popular antidepressant medicament that is known as serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). It curtails syndromes of panic disorder, depression, social anxiety disorder (social phobia) and generalised anxiety disorder (GAD).
Do not take this medicament if you are using a type of medicine called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI): linezolid, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, moclobemide, selegiline, furazolidone, procarbazine, tranylcypromine.
Your doctor may prescribe this remedy for other purposes. Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Effexor Xr earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol. Always contact a medic before giving Effexor Xr to a child.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
It is important to report to a doctor if you have or had the following conditions:
- heart disorders, heart attack, stroke, or seizures
- liver or kidney disease
- any allergies
- high cholesterol
- seizures or epilepsy
- bipolar disorder (manic-depression)
- a bleeding or blood clotting disorder
- high blood pressure
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant
How do I take this medicine?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others.
Effexor XR comes in the form of delayed-release (long-acting) capsules or tabs to take orally. The usual starting oral dosage is 25 mg three times per day, at regular intervals. Effexor XR should be accompanied by some liquid. It is important to drink several glasses of water each day while you are taking Effexor XR to protect your kidneys. It should be taken with food. The capsules, tabs should be swallowed whole. Do not crush, break
or chew them. The amount of Effexor XR depends on medical condition and response to therapy. It is obviously to appeal to your health care provider before to take this medicament. Follow your health care professional instructions carefully.
What should you do if you miss a dose of Effexor XR?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
What should you do if you overdose of Effexor XR?
Taking any medicine in excess you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, advise your medic immediately.
What drug(s) may interact with Effexor XR?
- Diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide)
- Haloperidol, aripiprazole, phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine, chlorpromazine), or risperidone
- Cimetidine or ketoconazole
- Certain diet medicines (eg, fenfluramine, phentermine)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen)
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
- Allergic reaction (skin rash or swelling; difficulty breathing; hives; itching; swelling of your face, throat, tongue or lips)
- Fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat (palpitations)
- Mental, mood changes (e.g., loss of contact with reality, restlessness, confusion, hallucinations, blurred vision)
- Problems with breathing, chest pain
- Weight gain
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Nervousness, anxiety
- Impotence, decreased sex drive or difficulty having an orgasm
- Nausea, vomiting
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention), loss of bladder control, diarrhea
- Numbness, tingling in your hands or feet (tremor), muscle stiffness, or spasms, muscle pain
- Liver problems, yellowing eyes, skin
If these persist or worsen, inform your doctor straightway. This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. If you have other effects not mentioned above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How should Effexor XR be stored?
Store at room temperature between 68-77 degrees F (20-25 degrees C), tightly closed, away from sunlight, direct heat, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep medicament out of the reach of children and away from animals.
He knows everything about medications – to which pharmacological group the drug belongs, what components are included in its composition, how it differs from its analogs, what indications, contraindications, and side effects remedy has. John is a real pro in his field, so he knows all these subtleties and wants to tell you about them.