Generic name: Aygestin
Brand names: Norethindrone
Norethindrone is known as a form of progesterone, a female hormone. The ingredients of this remedy work by preventing ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary) and causing changes in the mucus of the cervix and uterine lining, which make it difficult for sperm to penetrate and for an egg to attach to the uterus. This drug is prescribed for birth control to prevent pregnancy. Norethindrone is also used to cure endometriosis, abnormal vaginal bleeding, menstrual disorders caused by a hormone imbalance. Your physician may prescribe this remedy for other purposes.
This drug can cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Don’t use during pregnancy. Inform your medical assistant as soon as possible if you become pregnant during treatment.
Norethindrone doesn’t protect you from venereologic diseases, including AIDS and HIV.
Attention: You may need to use other birth control remedies, such as spermicide or condoms, when you start taking this drug. Follow your doctor’s prescriptions. If you take hormones, it can increase the risk of heart attack, stroke or blood clots, especially if you are older than 35 and smoke. Smoking combined with this remedy increases the risk for heart attacks, strokes, blood clots and high blood pressure.
Contact your physician if you need to learn more information about this drug.
Don’t stop treatment with Aygestin earlier than it was prescribed by your doctor even if you notice improvements of your condition. Stopping the medication too early may worsen your condition. Be careful about doing dangerous tasks, driving, operating machinery or climbing until you are aware how this drug affects you. Don’t drink alcohol.
What symptoms or conditions should I report to a doctor before I take this medicine?
Don’t take the remedy if you have or had:
- liver disease
- circulation problems
- a history of stroke
- abnormal vaginal bleeding
- blood clot
- breast cancer
- if you have recently had an abortion or incomplete miscarriage
- if you have allergy to norethindrone
It is important to report to a physician if you have or had the following conditions:
- kidney or liver disease
- liver cancer
- high blood pressure
- epilepsy or seizures
- a history of heart disease
- triglycide (fatty acid) or high cholesterol levels
- mental illness or a history of depression
Inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding while taking this remedy since Norethindrone can pass into breast milk.
How should you take Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
Note: This remedy was prescribed to you only. Do not share this medicament with others.
Make any type of tests or surgery if your doctor recomens to do so. Inform every surgeon or healthcare professional that you are taking norethindrone. Visit your medical assistant a regular basis during Aygestin treatment. The dosage may vary among individuals. It is obviously to contact your doctor before taking this medicament.
What should I do if I miss the dose?
In case you forgot to take the dose, take it at your earliest opportunity. Never double your dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Take only one dose at once.
If you are late in taking your dose for more than 3 hours, use condoms or a spermicide for at least the next 48 hours. If you miss a period for two months in a row, call your medical assistant because you might be pregnant.
What should you do if you overdose of Aygestin?
Taking any medicine in large doses you can have serious consequences for your health. If you feel an overdose, contact your health care professional instantly.
In large doses, this remedy may cause the following conditions:
- vaginal bleeding
Which side effects can I perceive from this remedy?
Seek emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergy: difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of your lips, face, throat, tongue
Stop taking this drug and contact your medical assistant immediately if you have any of these serious side effects:
- migraine headache
- severe pelvic pain
- sudden weakness or numbness, especially on one side of the body
- swelling or pain in one or both legs
- clay-colored stools, nausea, jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or skin), dark urine, loss of appetite, low fever, stomach pain
- swelling in your feet or hands, rapid weight gain
- sudden headache, pain behind the eyes, confusion, problems with balance, vision, speech
- symptoms of depression (weakness, sleep problems, mood changes)
- sweating, heavy feeling, chest pain or nausea, pain spreading to the shoulder or arm, general ill feeling
Less serious side effects:
- rash or skin itching
- weight changes
- mild headache
- swelling, breast pain, or tenderness
- bloating, vomiting, mild nausea, stomach cramps
- darkening of facial skin or freckles
- increased hair growth or acne
- vaginal itching or discharge
- decreased sex drive, changes in your menstrual periods
This is not a whole list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your healthcare professional. Call your healthcare professional for medical advice about side effects.
What other medicines affect Aygestin (Norethindrone)?
- itraconazole (Sporanox) or ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- St. John’swort
- griseofulvin (Grisactin, Fulvicin)
- rifampin (Rifamate, Rifater, Rimactane, Rifadin)
- a barbiturate such as butabarbital (Butisol), amobarbital (Amytal), mephobarbital (Mebaral), phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton), secobarbital (Seconal)
- HIV medicines such as atazanavir (Reyataz), amprenavir (Agenerase), indinavir (Crixivan), tipranavir (Aptivus), lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), saquinavir (Invirase), fosamprenavir (Lexiva), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir)
This list of interactions may be not complete. Provide your medical practitioners entire list of medicines, herbs, dietary supplements or non-prescription drugs you take. Moreover tell them whether you drink alcohol, use illegal drugs or smoke. Particular items may interact with your drug.
Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor approval.
Aygestin should be stored at room temperature, between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F), in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture, direct heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom or near a sink. Keep Aygestin out of the reach of children and away from animals.
Warning: Before taking the drug you need to consult your doctor.