Generic name: Procyclidine
Brand names: Procyclid, Perkinil, PMS-Procyclidine, Kemadren, Arpicolin, Opsodrin, Mucinil, Procipar, Osnervan.
General Information about Kemadrin.
This remedy is holinolitic. It blocks M-cholinergic receptors. It causes mydriasis, cycloplegia, tachycardia, xerostomia, increased intraocular pressure. Depresses the stomach and bronchial secretion, sweat glands. It relaxes the smooth muscles of the bronchus, gastrointestinal tract, bile and urinary systems. It is known for its antispasmodic effect.
Peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum, intestinal colic, renal colic, cholecystitis, acute pancreatitis, biliary colic, bronchospasm, hyperptyalism (poisoning with salts of heavy metals in dental procedures, parkinsonism), irritable bowel syndrome, bronchial asthma, pilorospazm, symptomatic bradycardia (sinus, sinoatrial blockade of the proximal AV block, ventricular electrical activity without pulse, asystole) for preoperative sedation, laryngism (prevention), cholelithiasis, bronchitis with hyperproduction of mucus.
Warning: Don’t take the drug in case you experience the following:
- Open-angle glaucoma
- For ophthalmic forms – angle-closure glaucoma (also under suspicion of it)
This remedy should not be taken in children.
Which side effects can I perceive from this drug?
- sensory organs and nervous system: dizziness, mydriasis, insomnia, cycloplegia, tactile perception violation, headache, confusion, euphoria, hallucinations
- gastrointestinal tract: xerostomia, constipation;
- blood and cardiovascular system (hematopoiesis, hemostasis): ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation, sinus tachycardia, aggravation of myocardial ischemia due to excessive tachycardia;
- other: photophobia, intestinal and urinary bladder, fever, urinary retention.
Take from 0,25 to 1 mg 1-3 times a day (if you suffer gastric ulcer or duodenal the dose will be prscribed individually). The largest single dose is 1 mg, the larges daily dose is 3 mg.
Intramuscularly or intravenously – from 0,25 to 1 mg one or two times daily. The largest dose for adults is 0.04 mg / kg (3 mg).
How should I keep this drug?
Store it in a dark place at a temperature not more than 25 ° C. Keep away from children and animals.
Note: Before taking the medicine you should consult your doctor.
He knows everything about medications – to which pharmacological group the drug belongs, what components are included in its composition, how it differs from its analogs, what indications, contraindications, and side effects remedy has. John is a real pro in his field, so he knows all these subtleties and wants to tell you about them.